Native Americans: 2019 Outcomes
Nearly half (47.3%) of Native Americans in South Dakota report using tobacco. Native Americans are at higher risk of disease caused by commercial tobacco use, with heart disease and cancer the leading causes of death.
- 397 (1.5%) enrolled in SD QuitLine services in 2019.
- 274 phone service enrollments
- 114 Kickstart Kits
- 9 Quit Guides
- Most Native Americans using the SD QuitLine enrolled by phone.
- 63.7% enrolled by phone.
- 2.5% were referred by a healthcare professional.
- 33.8% enrolled on the website.
- Native Americans using the SD QuitLine had a quit rate of 33.2%.
- This is lower than the quit rate of non-Native participants, and higher than the quit rate across national quitlines.
If you are unable to download files or access tools on this website, it may be due to your facility’s firewall protection. Ask your IT administrator to whitelist BeFreeSD.com so you have access to this important anti-tobacco information. For further questions, please reach out to the SD Tobacco Control Program.