K-12 School Tobacco-Free Model Policy
The [District Name] School District is committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for students, staff, and citizens. The [District Name] School Board acknowledges that adult staff and visitors serve as role models for students and embraces its obligation to provide learning and working environments that are safe, healthy and free from unwanted smoke and tobacco use on all district property and during all school-sponsored activities.
- Smoking: inhaling, exhaling, burning, operating, or carrying any lighted or heated Tobacco Product or Vapor Product, as defined herein.
- Tobacco Product: any item made of tobacco intended for human consumption, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. Tobacco Product also includes Vapor Product. Tobacco Product does not include traditional tobacco.
- Vapor Product: any electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device and any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device. The term, Vapor Product, does not include any product approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as tobacco cessation products and marketed and sold solely for that purpose.
- Traditional tobacco (Ċanśaśa): The cuttings or shavings of plants in their natural form such as red willow bark, sage, and sweet grass. Traditional tobacco has no additives and is used for medicinal purposes, ceremony, prayer, and social gatherings.
- [Facility] Property: includes, but is not limited to [locations].
The [District Name] School District buildings and grounds are 100% tobacco-free at all times, for all persons, without exception. Use of any type of tobacco is prohibited on or in district parking lots, in district-owned vehicles or in any personal vehicles on the [District Name] School District property. All persons are prohibited from using tobacco at school-sponsored activities on/off school district property, which may occur either before, during or after regular school hours. Students are also prohibited from possessing any type of tobacco. Students and staff are prohibited from promoting tobacco through the use or display of tobacco-related materials such as clothing, hats, backpacks and other items promoting tobacco or vaping products.
Traditional Tobacco Use
In respect for the traditional tobacco use of American Indians, traditional tobacco used in the practice of cultural or religious activities will be the exclusive exception to this policy. Use of traditional tobacco for ceremonial purposes is permitted and must be approved in advance by the [school administrator/School Board] prior to use.
The superintendent shall provide public notification of the district’s policy through appropriate means, such as signs posted on the perimeter of the property, at entrances and other prominent places, student and staff handbooks and public announcement at school events.
District administration, including school superintendent and principal(s), will oversee the enforcement of this policy for all persons.
- Tobacco or vaping products found in student possession will be confiscated.
- Student violations may also result in, at the discretion of school administration: parent/guardian notification, a written assignment on the dangers of tobacco and nicotine use, participation in a tobacco education and/or cessation program, suspension or ineligibility to participate in extracurricular activities, community service or notification of law enforcement.
- Employees may also be subject to disciplinary action pursuant to [District Name] policy.
- Visitors in violation of this policy will be asked to comply, and if necessary, be subject to appropriate consequences, which may include being directed to leave school property.
Tobacco Cessation Opportunities
[District Name] School District Students and employees who violate this policy will be encouraged to quit and provided information on cessation, including the SD QuitLine [1-866-737-8487].
This policy will be maintained by The [District Name] School Board. Any questions regarding the tobacco-free policy should be directed to The Board or school administrator.
The policy set forth above is effective [date] for [organization name and location] and was last updated [date].
Updated on BeFreeSD.com June 2019.